Birth injuries can be devastating for families, causing physical harm and emotional trauma. When medical professionals make mistakes during pregnancy, labor, and delivery, the consequences can be life-altering. In Albuquerque, victims of birth injuries have the right to seek compensation for their trauma, including medical bills, the cost of care, and psychological injuries.
This article explores the common causes of birth injuries in Albuquerque, the steps to take if you suspect your child has suffered a birth injury, and how an experienced medical malpractice attorney can help you protect your child and your rights.
Quick Facts: Albuquerque Birth Injury Lawsuits
- Birth injuries are a type of medical malpractice causing physical harm and emotional trauma to families.
- Victims of birth injuries have the right to seek compensation for their trauma, including medical bills, cost of care, and psychological injuries.
- Common causes of birth injuries include medical errors, such as improper use of delivery tools, failure to recognize the need for cesarean section, and improper care during a cesarean section.
- If you suspect your child has suffered a birth injury, it is important to document the incident and contact an experienced attorney specializing in medical malpractice cases.
Compassionate Albuquerque Birth Injury Attorneys Fighting for You and Your Family
At The ABQ Accident Law Firm, our experienced attorneys are dedicated to helping families affected by birth injuries. Our team has a track record of successfully reaching settlements and taking cases to trial. We take a personalized approach to each case, getting to know you and your family and keeping you informed of developments in your case. Our caring and supportive office environment is here to assist you during a difficult time.
Seeking Compensation for Mothers and Infants Injured by Medical Malpractice in Albuquerque
Birth injury victims have the right to seek compensation for medical bills, cost of care, and psychological injuries. Compensation can help families address the practical concerns arising from the birth injury, such as ongoing medical care and support for the child. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate the complex process of filing a lawsuit and seeking compensation for your family.
Common Causes of Birth Injuries in Albuquerque
- Failure to recognize infection during gestation.
- Administering incorrect medication or dosages.
- Surgical errors or procedural mistakes.
- Improper monitoring of heart rate during pregnancy.
- Failing to follow proper delivery procedures.
- Missing signs of complications with the newborn, such as umbilical cord issues or jaundice.
- Misusing delivery tools, like vacuum extractors or forceps.
- Not recognizing the need for and properly performing cesarean sections.
Steps to Take if You Suspect Your Child Was Injured During Birth in Albuquerque
- Collect contact information for treating physicians and medical professionals.
- List the hospitals and medical facilities where treatment and delivery took place.
- Document medical procedures performed or offered, including ultrasounds and measuring of fundal height.
- Create a timeline of events and include as many details as possible.
- List any prescription medications taken during pregnancy.
- Document any concerns during pregnancy and labor & delivery.
- Contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney specializing in birth injury cases, like those at The ABQ Accident Law Firm, to discuss your legal rights and potential case.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is considered a birth injury in Albuquerque?
A birth injury is any harm or injury that occurs to a baby during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. This can include physical injuries, such as broken bones or nerve damage, as well as developmental disabilities and cognitive impairments.
2. How can I prove that my child’s birth injury was due to medical negligence in Albuquerque?
Proving medical negligence in a birth injury case can be challenging. It requires demonstrating that the medical professionals involved in your child’s care failed to meet the standard of care expected of them, and that this failure directly caused your child’s injury. An experienced medical malpractice attorney can help gather the necessary evidence and build a strong case on your behalf.
3. How long do I have to file a birth injury lawsuit in Albuquerque?
In New Mexico, the statute of limitations for filing a medical malpractice claim is three years from the date of the injury. However, there are exceptions for cases involving minors, so it’s essential to consult with an experienced attorney to determine the specific deadline for your case.
4. What kind of compensation can I expect in a successful Albuquerque birth injury case?
Compensation in a successful birth injury case can include economic damages, such as medical bills and the cost of ongoing care, as well as non-economic damages, like pain and suffering and emotional distress. The specific amount of compensation will depend on the unique circumstances of your case.
5. How can a medical malpractice attorney help me with my Albuquerque birth injury case?
An experienced medical malpractice attorney, like those at The ABQ Accident Law Firm, can help guide you through the complex legal process, gather evidence and expert testimony, and advocate for the compensation your family deserves. They will also provide support and guidance throughout the process, helping you make informed decisions about your case.
If you suspect that your child has suffered a birth injury due to medical negligence, it’s essential to take action as soon as possible. Contact the compassionate and experienced attorneys at The ABQ Accident Law Firm today to discuss your case and protect your child’s future.